Cider Mac' and Cheese with Leeks
- 350g Macaroni or other tubular pasta
- 1 Tblspn Vegetable oil
- 1 Leek,washed and diced
- 50g Butter
- 35g Plain flour
- 200ml Thatchers Vintage Cider
- 400ml Semi-skimmed Milk
- 1 Tspn English Mustard
- 250g Wyke Farms Extra Mature Cheddar, grated (save half for the topping)
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 25g Fresh Breadcrumbs
- Few Sprigs of Thyme
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4
- Cook the macaroni in a pan of boiling water for 8-10 minutes, until just cooked. Drain and place into an oven proof dish.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the leeks for 2-4 minutes until soft. Add the butter and stir until melted before adding the flour.
- Keep stirring until the mixture starts to bubble and then slowly add the cider followed by the milk.
- The mixture will start to thicken, so keep stirring until you have a smooth sauce. Add the mustard and half the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni and stir together well. Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and then the breadcrumbs and thyme.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden and bubbling and serve with a green salad.