- Place the French fries on a large baking tray and cook according to packet instructions.
- In the meantime, make the gravy. Heat the butter in a large frying pan and add the onions. Cook gently over a low heat for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and slightly caramelised.
- Sprinkle in the flour to coat the onions and fry for a further minute. Gradually pour in the stock, whisking continuously. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer until the gravy has thickened. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- When the chips are golden, crumble or grate over the curd and return to the oven for 2 – 3 minutes to melt the cheese.
- When melted and oozy, remove the chips from the oven, place in a sharing bowl and generously pour over the cheesy chips. Any remaining gravy place in a bowl and serving alongside for dipping.
– For an even quicker version of this recipe, simply use instant gravy granules and make according to packet instructions.